Sunday, June 28, 2009

Jesus is my man for now - Oby Edozien


Beauty combined with versatility, that is the perfect description of pretty Oby Edozien who has been into acting since 1997 with her first movie: ‘To love and cherish.’ Oby has ... since featured in numerous movies, including: ‘Abuja Connections’ and ‘Gongo Aso’, among others. In this chat with Funmi Salome Johnson, she speaks on her career, upbringing and Christian life

How is acting career treating you?

It’s all well and good. We thank God.

You have a song that is on air now, it is also the sound track to one of your movies. What is it about?

The movie is the story of three girls trying to make it in their musical career; they go through hell and at the end of the day, they succeed but fame gets into their heads and they start to smoke and engage in lesbianism and all the rest. The movie itself is party, it has musicals in-between. Then we sang there and there is pop music in it too. The girls die in a plane crash; I survive, didn’t go with them and the producer refuses to open the studio again and I move on with my life. That song you saw on air is in the movie, if you buy the movie when it comes out, you will see it in the movie; you will not see Obi Edozien but you will see the name of the character I played there. So I now decided to package it and play it on air.

Are you planning to go further with a music career

Yes I am. In fact, I am working on that now

Do you think you will survive the competition in the Nigeria music industry today?

In music or acting, you don’t have to compete with anybody, I can never be them and they can never be Oby Edozien so there is no competition, it is all about moving ahead in life and making it and being yourself. You don’t have to look at another person and say this person is this and so you have to be that. You just have to be yourself and you don’t have to be jealous of anybody. Be yourself and prosper, that is it.

So how has the acting terrain been? Has it been fun?

Acting has been fun and it is what I will do till the last days. You know when I am old, they have roles for old women, so kids will say to themselves ‘see that aunty when she was young’ so I am ready top act till old age. I am ready to die an actress.

How did you get into the acting profession?

In my school, Sola Fosudo was a lecturer; one day I walked up to him and told him I would like to be an actress and asked him how to go about it. He explained to me that there was something called audition and he gave me a note to Zeb Ejiro and I went to Zeb Ejiro’s office. Then they wanted to start Candle Light, so he invited me for the audition, you know those days that you would go for auditions and you would see the whole Lagos there. No GSM. I met some other people there and that was how it all started and the rest is history today.

sportstainment
for more, visit the google related links

No comments:

Post a Comment