Thursday, July 16, 2009

Sex-for-role actresses are quacks----Uche Ogbodo


You can’t ignore Uche ogbodo for many reasons. One, she is a well-endowed lady while the other reason is the obvious cross and flower tattoo on her arm. She spoke with SAMUEL OLATUNJI on her rising career and what has kept her in the acting world.

Why did your dad introduce you to Nollywood?
Well, I’ll say he believed in me. Parents always have the thought that Nollywood is a not a place where you can take your child, especially when you are concerned about the wellbeing of the child. That is a wrong belief about Nollywood. The thing is between the parent and the child; the way parents raise their children also has great impact to do with situations like this. My father saw that I could make it from this part of the industry and he believes strongly in me because he has seen me do it before.

So, how has it been for five years?
It has been fun, and I am grateful to God because some people have been in this same industry for a long period of time, yet there is nothing much to show for it. So I give all the thanks to God. When it all started, I knew I was going to hit-the-peak, but I did not know how it would happen though I have the skill any good actress could possess.

What brought you this far?
It’s hard work and God of course. I will also say I had the opportunity, perhaps I came in at the right time when someone like me was really needed, so I just grabbed the opportunity and I made the best use of it.

Does it have anything to do with ‘behind closed doors deals’ with marketers?
(laugh) Why does everybody think like that? I want to tell you something very important. I have never and I will never sleep with a marketer for a role. For those that sleep with marketers, I will say they are scared of getting good roles because they know they are not good at acting. They believe that if they don’t go down with a marketer, they won’t get the job. I have never dated marketers for jobs. It has never been a priority for me, that is why I don’t give them positive answer.

Does it mean that no marketer has ever approached you?
They are men, you know. Marketers are not aliens and they are not made of steel. Some of them may be attracted to me and they ask me out. I might say yes if I like them and say no if I don’t. It happens that I have never seen anyone I like. So the answer has always been a constant no.

What are those things that can result into the rise or fall of an actress?
Hmmm. Commitment to your job and hard work. Try to learn new things every new day. Nobody knows it all. An actress can rise when she wants to learn from the people around her and there must be something that you believe strongly in by your side, it is either God or god. So, the power behind you will determine how far you will go plus your commitment to your job, I think it’d helps. Then what makes them fall is when they think they know it all, they tend to remain stagnant, they don’t like to learn new things and it is traceable to every aspect of life. When you are tired of learning new techniques, people will also be tired of you. When people see that all they do is repetition, why would they use you in their movies? So, it’s a very simple logic.

No comments:

Post a Comment